During the recent government shutdown, federal workers in Michigan who were out of work were able to turn to WDIV-TV (Detroit) consumer reporter Hank Winchester (“Help Me Hank”), who provided news coverage that offers insight and resources for workers trying to stay afloat without getting a paycheck.
“As a station we believe we have an obligation to use our resources to connect viewers with local companies and agencies that can help them weather the hard times. Hank and his consumer team continue to play an important role,” said Kim Voet, WDIV’s news director.
On January 16, the station hosted an all-day event with news coverage that offered insight and resources for workers who are trying to stay afloat without getting a paycheck. Topics included:
- Freebies being offered by companies, retailers and stores to help
- How to preserve your credit
- What to do about mortgage or rent payments
- Nonprofits that are helping out
- How to handle medical bills