Dave graduated from Career Academy of Broadcasting in Milwaukee in 1967. He later earned his B.A from Saginaw Valley State University. His first radio job began on August 22, 1967 as an announcer for WIDG Radio in St. Ignace. In July 1968 he joined WSAM in Saginaw as disc jockey and newscaster. In October 1968, he was hired as News Director of WXOX in Bay City and in 1977 he became General Manager of that station. In November 1979 he was recruited to become News Director for WSGW and in 1988 became both News Director and Program Director. In 2000, he was also named Operations Manager for the cluster. Dave has served as the morning anchor on WSGW for 42 years of his 54 years in radio. He has served on both state and national boards for the Associated Press and is a longtime member of the MAB and RTNDA. Dave is a past President of the Saginaw Valley Press Club and the Michigan AP Board. Dave has served on a number of MAB Committees including planning for the annual conferences.
Dave and his news teams were named AP Station of the Year for 25 consecutive years beginning in 1985. While serving on the AP Board and MAB committees, Dave has been instrumental in organizing professional development workshops and seminars for broadcasters across the state. He has lectured for broadcast and journalism classes at various colleges and universities in Michigan. Dave also has worked with many interns over the years and has also conducted independent directed studies for six students, some of whom have gone on to outstanding careers in radio and TV. As Dave advanced in his career he found great satisfaction in mentoring and has critiqued audio and scripts as a courtesy to people doing news in Michigan’s smaller markets as well as some consulting work.
In 2005 Dave received the Michigan AP Lifetime Achievement Award for his contributions to the industry and in 2016 he was named a Paul Harris Fellow by Rotary International for his coverage and contributions to humanitarian causes in Northeast Michigan.
Under Dave’s leadership WSGW has been awarded the 2020 NAB Crystal Award recognizing Community Service. WSGW also won the 2020 NAB Service to America Award for the Sharing Hope Radiothon and the station is a finalist for that award in 2021 for coverage of the 500 Year Flood in Midland and Gladwin Counties.
Dave has been a format leader for one of his stations previous companies, Nextmedia. He currently serves as Operations Manager for Alpha Media’s 5 station cluster in Saginaw and is Program Director for 100.5 and 790 Newsradio WSGW, in addition to co-hosting the Morning Team Show and anchoring newscasts.
Dave and his wife RoseMary live in Bangor Township near Bay City. He and his adult sons are avid anglers who have pursued fish in Canada, Lake Tahoe, several Michigan lakes and often on Saginaw Bay.
- Dave Maurer has chaired the Law Enforcement & Media Committee for the Saginaw County Crime Prevention Council for 20 years.
- He served on the Bay County Local Emergency Planning Committee for 35 years.
- He served on the board of Big Brothers/Big Sisters
- Dave helped build 6 houses for Habitat for Humanity
- He served on the Bay Area Catholic Schools Advisory Board and chaired their Marketing Committee for 10 years.
- He served on many Parish committees and as President of his Parish Council twice. He has been a lector for over 50 years.
- He has served as a panelist for both Leadership Bay County and Leadership Saginaw for many years.
- Dave is the emcee for the Saginaw Area Fireworks and coordinates music on air synced to the Independence Day Fireworks display for the past 15 years.
- In the 1970’s Dave promoted several country music concerts bringing Nashville talent to the area. He also brought Paul Harvey to Saginaw for a speaking engagement and emceed the event.