By: Seth Resler
Jacobs Media Strategies
One thing most of us have in common is that we’re moving at a fast pace, multi-tasking all the way. It’s not uncommon for simple tasks to get dropped or forgotten. And when that happens, we’re letting others down, whether it’s business or personal.
But there are great web tools that can helps us with basic tasks, leading to more efficiency…and happiness. One of my favorite time-saving tools is a website called IFTTT, which stands for “If This Then That.”
It allows you to link up any number of digital tools to any other digital tools. For example, you can tell the site, “If I post a photo to Instagram, download it to my Dropbox account.” Or “If it’s going to rain tomorrow, send me a text message.”
IFTTT works with dozens of services, from WordPress to Spotify to Google Calendar to GE Appliances. You can use it for your social media, your smart home devices, or even your connected car.
The tasks that you set up between two services are called “applets.” Here are 10 applets that radio broadcasters might find useful:
- Share your latest WordPress blogpost on Facebook.
- Share the results of your Mailchimp email newsletter with your team.
- Set the WeMo coffee maker to have freshly brewed coffee when you arrive at the station.
- Automatically wish your friends happy birthday on Facebook.
- When you receive an email with an attachment, automatically save it to Dropbox.
- Get notified on Skype when somebody rings the station’s doorbell.
- Create a Google Doc spreadsheet that tracks every social media post made through Buffer.
- Automatically share the track you post to Soundcloud on Facebook.
- Back up all of your Pinterest pins to Google Drive.
- Get an email heads-up every time there is a response to your survey on Survey Monkey.
This is just a small sample of what you can use IFTTT to do. I recommend spending some time playing with it and looking for small ways to make your life easier.
I love little tricks like these, and later this month I’ll be hosting a webinar on “Digital Tricks Every Radio DJ Should Know.” Please invite your on-air talent to join me for it. REGISTER HERE.
For more assistance on digital or social media, contact MAB Member Services at [email protected] or 1-800-968-7622.
Editor’s Note: The views and opinions of this article do not necessarily reflect those of the MAB. Contact the MAB for information on the MAB’s official editorial policy.